Lowfield Heath Windmill
The story of the survival of Lowfield Heath Windmill is almost as remarkable as the story of its restoration in the hands of a dedicated and committed group of local people. The post windmill, originally built at Lowfield Heath in the 1740s, now stands on the edge of Charlwood village south of Dorking and is in full working order. It took 13 years of hard work and great skill to dismantle, repair and re-erect the mill. Today it is in full working order and has a small visitor centre in the roundhouse.
The windmill first appeared on Rocque’s map of Surrey published in 1762, when a James Constable owned it. The Constable family was recorded as running a mill on Horsham Common in 1615 and mention is made of a mill being brought from there to Lowfield Heath as early as 1738.
Lowfield Heath is depicted still as open common on a plan of the Manor of Rowley surveyed in 1819. Shortly after this in 1821 the ‘Lords and Tenants of the Manor of Charlwood’ signify their consent ‘to an enclosure being made by James Constable of the wasteland of Lowfield Heath around the mill situate’ This was ratified in a deed dated 18th April 1827.
The mill grounds are open to visitors all year round but please check the website for open days.